Sprechen Sie Deutsch? ¿Habla Español? Speak another language? Translate!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Picture Day #6 - The Munich Residence

Hallo!

I unexpectedly had the rest of my day off and I decided to do one of the two final things on my list: go to the Munich Residence. The Residence has been home to famous Bavarian kings, queens, emperors, and empresses, and consists of not only the Residence museum but also (with appropriate ticket) the treasury and the "Cuvilliés Theatre." Honestly, my favorite part of the experience was the treasury and you'll see why when you get to the pictures.

Since there were three distinct parts to the experience, and since I viewed them in a specific order, my pictures will be separated into groups accordingly. I took over 330 pictures of this experience and obviously can't put them all here so I have selected the best pictures from the trip, but be aware that there is much more beauty where this came from! I have provided as much description as I can remember, much of the information was on audio tape and my brain isn't good enough to store all of the info, plus they made me put my bag away so I didn't have my pencil and paper with me. Enjoy!
As always, I have included a picture of the entrance/front of the museum.

Part One - The Treasury

Introduction: I discovered that the Munich Treasury is one of the most comprehensive of all the treasuries in the world. This means that they do not only have crowns, priceless pottery, and general items from Bavarian kings and queens, but also things from Paris, England, Italy, Greece... I was quite impressed. I truly wish I could share more than the pictures below as this was my favorite part of the entire experience. In fact, if any of you are ever in Munich but only have time for one of the three exhibits, do this one. (Note: All of the information that I use for descriptions is of course provided by the Munich Residence.)
I have included several pictures of "crown jewels," if you will. The gemstones are almost all authentic, some I remember hearing were replaced with imitations because of loss or selling of the gemstones way back in the day.
Many of these crowns had connections with French and British royalty, which I found interesting. Circa 1280.
This "magnificent chain" as it's called in German, was in the small room labeled "Saint Georg." Only the above and below displays were in this room. Year was listed at about 1575.
You can see the card in the corner. I found the detail truly amazing and comprehensive.
The top shelf was labeled under "ruby jewelry" and all the items belonged to Queen Therese of Bavaria in about 1830. I believe the bottom row of pear based jewelry was hers as well, but I don't remember.
Okay I'm really mad at myself for not taking a picture of the little card, but the above and below pictures symbolize, from what I remember from the audio guide, the power that the Bavarian royalty had at one point and time.
This crown is unbelievable.
After passing through the crystal displays, I ended up here in what I will call the "semi-precious rock and other" displays. I loved this display of utensils. Especially the spoon.
I love the idea of using a seashell as not only a work of art, but as a cup to drink from. I don't remember what the item on the right is, but it is very pretty.
I'm not really sure how this could ever be used for anything other than decoration, but it was certainly the most elaborate "plate" I saw here.

Part Two - The Residence Museum

Introduction: Quite honestly, I had forgotten that I was in a museum and thought I was in a palace! The Residence is almost a palace because Bavarian royalty did in fact stay there, however it appears that when they stayed there it was primarily for business matters. I was able to see rooms, pottery, paintings... it was a very interesting experience.
These are two painting that I saw pretty much as I walked into the first part of the museum.
This is "Grotto Courtyard." It was inspired by Italian gardens.
This is the fountain. I thought the shells that are embedded into the stone was pretty neat.
The Antiquarium. Built for Duke Albrecht V for all of his antiquities, hence, "Antiquarium." There were many statues in this hall. This had later been a bit remodeled so it could also serve as a banquet hall.
The "Black Hall," so called named for the four black scagliola portals, was built in 1590 by Duke Wilhelm V. I love the illusionistic painting on the ceiling.
Chinese covered vases and fishbowls made in the end of the 18th century. You may be able to read the card on the table.
You can definitely read the side description here, however I will mention that both the above picture and the one above this were a part of a hallway exhibit exclusively dedicated to the pottery and such purchased from China and Japan.
This room was called the "Elector's Bedroom." If you recall my earlier photos from the Nymphenburg Palace, the dark green bedroom set that I had shown resemble the set-up here. I prefer the ivory colors though.
These portraits were in the room called the "Puille Cabinet." King Ludwig II had these portraits put here. The reason why I'm including these is actually because if you look at these portraits in comparison to other portraits done in other kingdoms at that time (18th century), these pictures look much more pleasant. Even with a slight smile. You don't see that many other places, including the States.
I loved this room. Very tastefully decorated. It's called the "Reception Room" and contains portraits of the family of the first Bavarian King, Max I Joseph. (Early 1800's.)
I included this picture for no real reason other than to include it. I loved the furniture that they used to decorate these rooms and I particularly liked this one because of the deep red color and the intense decorating. The fact that it has flowers on it helps too...
I included this picture to give you an idea of the size of these crazy doors. As obnoxious as they are impressive, I kind of want them for my future house.
This is the ceiling of the literally titled "Ornate Chapel." The chapel itself (not pictured) was not nearly as impressive. I love the blue. I think to myself, how were they able to develop such a rich blue paint without the use of chemicals in that era? (Dedicated in 1607.)
This is the "Porcelain Cabinet." Quite a magnificent room.
And this was the last hall I walked through, the "Ancestral Gallery." Contains, obviously, portraits of previous royalty. Very beautiful.

Part Three - The Cuvilliés Theatre


Introduction: Named after the architect who constructed it, the theater is still under use today but at a much smaller scale. It is truly beautiful, but I will say that the theater I was in (which is practically next door to here) for the ballet was very similarly built and much, much larger. There are not many pictures as it was a pretty straight forward "exhibit," if you will, but it was still magnificent.
Here is the best shot I could provide that offers a decent view of everything. I had a really hard time getting a good clear shot. I wasn't allowed flash in the other areas of the museum, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use it here. It's still a pretty magnificent theater. I saw advertisements for performances of a Shakespeare play, but I can't remember which one.


Here ends the picture tour of the Munich Residence. I hope you enjoyed your virtual journey. Over the weekend I am going to attempt to do my final experience, but we'll see how it goes. I just found out today that friends of the family are coming here this evening so I am unsure what my schedule will be like.


In any case, think positive and find something to look forward to!


Chao!

1 comment:

  1. Jealous. And I kept thinking of the movie Anastasia as I was looking at those pictures. And now I have Anastasia songs stuck in my head. The decorations used on the walls and ceilings are what I love the most about the pictures. No one paints a wall or ceiling like that anymore. It's usually wallpaper and wallpaper is evil. Those crowns and such were gorgeous and I am so jealous that you get to see them. Jealous. I want to go to a castle so bad now.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you so choose!