Sprechen Sie Deutsch? ¿Habla EspaƱol? Speak another language? Translate!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Gripes About Grapes (And Other Things)

Hello Everyone,

I'm aware that I just posted an entry about three days ago but since my time of pregnancy is rapidly running out I thought I'd post another quick entry for fun.

First off, I am "in-between" due dates as I was give both the 7th and the 9th as possible due dates. My doctor says everything looks good though so I'm just playing the waiting game... same as eight months ago.

But I'm not here to talk about pregnancy today (not really anyway). I'm here to talk about some quirks in our society that bother me in some fashion even though we live with many of these things without thinking about it. My first example takes care of my blog post title. What about grapes?

Imagine yourself going to the store and wandering into the juice aisle (organic or otherwise). Take a peek at your basic grape juice options. What do we have? In short and in the most basic form we have white grape juice and Concord or purple grape juice right? Let's start with the Concord grape juice (my favorite). If we had the time and juicer we could wander over to the grapes in the produce section and juice our own (provided your local grocery store carried them, Concord grapes are not a standard in most stores). Now let's go back to the white grape juice. What do we buy to make our own? No, not white grapes, green grapes. Green. But no one calls it "green grape juice" or "white grapes." No. We have to make it confusing. I imagine, I'm not taking the time to look it up here, that when the first person juiced green grapes they saw that the resulting liquid was not green but in fact clear/yellowish probably leading up to "white grape juice." And let me mention, by the way, yellow is the color that would make the most sense but no one would drink "yellow grape juice..." that just sounds weird.

My next "gripe" if you will is actually two completely different products that have the same exact problem. Razor cartridges and printer ink cartridges. I went to the store yesterday with my fiance and on my list was "razors." I, being eco-friendly and all that, was going to pick up a refill package. (Note: they have specifically eco-friendly razors. However, part of being eco-friendly is knowing what makes sense and what doesn't. These razors do not seem to work well and if we're talking about efficiency and waste, going "conventional" with razors may actually be more eco-friendly.) Anyway, I found myself staring at the razor section, baffled. Why exactly does a brand new razor with a brand new razor blade cost about $6.50 and a package of four cartridge refills cost $17-something? To do some basic math, if the refills were, let's say, $17.50 that would make each cartridge $4.38. A brand new razor with two refills was $11-something. Not only is that mark-up NOT financially friendly, it's ridiculous marketing and manipulation of the consumer. We, as consumers, purchase a new razor with cartridges thinking it will save us money to buy in "bulk," if you will, when we need new blades for our razors. But when we buy a new razor we hardly ever look at the cost of the refills because we already have one or two in the new package. So when we go back to the store we don't want to buy the refill because it's so expensive but if we already have a perfectly good handle it doesn't make sense to buy another one. Now you're stuck with what you have. This exact same concept applies to printers and ink cartridges. It is technically cheaper to buy a whole new printer with the ink included than to buy just the refill ink cartridges. Not only is this frustrating, there doesn't seem to be any potential solution. AHH!

Let's move on to another consumer/society issue. I was thirsty so I went into our local grocery store before my doctor's appointment to buy a bottle of water. I figured I just go up to one of the cases near the check-out line and pick up a bottle and walk out, since I only had about five minutes of spare time. I spot a bottle of Aquafina. Not my personal favorite, but I was thirsty. (My personal favorite? Fiji water. Can't get any better than that.) But I stopped myself mid-way to the grab of the water bottle. $1.79? For water? Since when? I went up the little coolers at the end of the check-out aisles to either find soda, typically $1.29 or less for a bottle, to Dasani water, which I refused to buy (that's another story). Finally, I saw a VitaCoco for $1.39. Now, I enjoy coconut water but as far as quality and taste goes, VitaCoco is on the bottom rungs for that. But considering my time restriction and the fact that I was dying of thirst, I bought it. Thinking back, I could have probably wandered down the bottled water aisle to find a cheaper bottle of water, but really? $1.79 for Aquafina? If my doctors office had a water fountain I would have just waited until I got there but they don't (odd for an OB/GYN place) but I was thirsty. This is another perfect example of being taken advantage of as a consumer who is just thirsty for a glass of water only to be charged an obscene amount of money for "cooler water" instead of remembering to go down the water aisle. And besides, since when is soda and juice cheaper than water? How does that even make sense? Don't believe this price mark-up is really happening? Check out your local grocery store. You'll be surprised.

We've all heard the "scientific" research about how whole fruits are better than juice and/or dried fruits. We need the water and fiber for our body to properly digest and absorb the nutrients. This makes sense, of course, however I don't think we really needed science to tell us that. Where's the gripe in this? Let's look at something else that I believe follows the exact same "scientific" mindset: protein powder. Now, how on Earth do you think that consuming mass quantities of protein powder is good for you when it lacks all of the essential vitamins that the protein used to work with to be effective in your system? Ah but what about vitamin fortified protein powder? Okay so now we'll just put artificial vitamins back into the already altered protein structure. That sounds healthy. Not to mention any protein that is not used within the body gets excreted as waste. So how much are you wasting by buying these products? Drink some milk or eat a steak for crying out loud. How about some cashews? Edamame anyone? Lentil soup? Every food on this planet that contains protein, or any other vitamin for that matter, was structured in a way that allows for the body to more easily absorb those nutrients by using other vitamins, minerals, water, and fiber so that your body can process it easily. Altering these nutrients and isolating them does nothing. So instead of a multi-vitamin, how about a smoothie? Need vitamin D? Go outside and get some sun. Calcium? Spinach and kale are great. Whole foods are the best foods.

My last gripe of the day is about the phrase "take a shower." We always say it: "I'm going to go take a shower." I say it too. But it bothers me as a person who speaks English. When my fiance says he's going to take a shower, I've started asking him if he's going to put it back. Or when he says he's going to jump in the shower I'll tell him not to slip. Why do we say these kinds of things in our language? No wonder it's so hard for people to learn English. We have COUNTLESS expressions that don't make any real sense. "I ran into so-and-so at the store." Did you really? Are you two okay? Why were you running in the store? My fiance gets very annoyed with me when I start on this. But if you listen, you'll here a lot of these odd expressions being thrown around. You'll start saying crazy things in response too... until someone either punches you or stops talking to you. People have no sense of humor. (I always loved the Amelia Bedelia children's books, they surround this kind of word play. For example, when told to draw the curtains, she sketches them on a pad of paper.)

Do you have any "gripes about grapes?" Comment if you wish. I'll be sure to post about labor and deliver when it happens.

Enjoy your day!

4 comments:

  1. i love your rants. I have to agree on the way people say things. "running to the store" is one that i hear a lot. Cant wait to hear about the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest gripe is when someone buys a new printer every time they run out of ink!!

    --Geek Squad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest gripe is when Geek Squad comes in with a smuggy attitude and tries to take advantage of consumer who knows better! Holly keep on buying those printers at www.radioshack.com

      - Sincerely RadioShack a business of honor since 1921 TM

      Delete
  3. I totally agree on the razor blades and they NEVER have coupons for the blades and they are NEVER on sale either! What's up with that?? Can't wait for that baby to come join us out here in the world. I say around 8 lbs of bouncing baby boy. Is anybody taking guesses on the weight of the baby?
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you so choose!